Ghosts

As I lay on the bed my mind floods with thoughts, even when resting my mind is not at rest. One stuck in my head as needing a decision soon, the Ghost from my past. Does it need to be aired, would it be damaging for anyone else to know, what affect would the moral of shell. A lot of confused thoughts about the pros and cons of putting this ghost on show to the world.

The Ghost is well a ghost. Of my very good friends from school. Aged 13 he was not well, pain in his one hip, the visit to get it check out changed his life. He had bone cancer and I seen him go though the treatment, the hair loss. To the last time I saw him alive.

I walk into a hospice some where in Shrewsbury, into a room where a waxy looking version of my lively friend lies on a hospital type bed. I say hello to him there is no movement in his body or closed eye, his mouth moves just a bit.

On the table next to the bed laid a book he was reading, almost finished, less then a chapter left to read. I pick up the book and started reading it to him. When I finished the chapter, I said good bye and left*.

That was the last time I saw him, he died 1 day later on boxing day.

I decided at the moment it was in shell best interest not to bring it up.


* It still bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye to talk or write about it even now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment