Fast Rhythm

Limit point, mirror, side wind, what's that car in front going to do. I don't pay attention to the fidgety and nervous Shell in the passenger seat. I don't know if it's the change from laid back driving to Focused driving to make the best progress to the hospital or the phone call we had that started this all off.

Maybe it's a mix of the two. As I park up I can start thinking about the call we had. Kim has been rushed to ITU for something, we don't know where that is so we head to the ward for directions.
As we get to the ward, Kim is wheeled out of the lift.

She is wearing a 100% non re-breather Oxygen mask, Looking tired in her bed. Kim eyes light up when she see her Mum standing there. It was the first time, Shell had been to see her in hospital. I leave Shell and Kim to have a quite mother daughter moment together as I went to speak to the Duty Doctor.

We talked about the Oxygen mask, It was only being used to keep the air going into Kims lungs clean. Then I asked what had happened, as like most Doctors she used the common lowest denominator medical talk. “well Kim heart when a little fast, and we had to take her down stairs to help her with it. We did not mean to scare you with the phone call” the Doctor smiles as she says this.

“So what was Kim heart rate?”
“Quick enough to have us worried”
“how quick is that??”
“fairly quick”
At this point I was getting a bit miffed that my question had not been answered.
“So how how many Beats per minute was her heart going at ??”
“198”
“198, damn a AED would shock that rhythm” I reply
The Doctor looks a bit interested that I know it above the read threshold of a Automated External Defibrillator.
She talks more free about the stats of the event, before I went back to Shell and Kim.

Shell look at me a bit worried as I asked Kim how she is feeling. “ Like I have run a bloody marathon” “ well your heart was going like you were doing one, but it all under control now” I reply. “well I wish it would just fucking behave” Kim says with a half smile.

The doctor is hanging around outside the Room as we leave. I am talking to shell about it, trying to set her mind a ease a little. I think it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment