The Green Man

I have just finished a duty with the Voluntary Ambulance Society I am a member of, and only a few miles away from the hospital. So I decide to pop in and see how Kim is.

It's funny the looks you get walking on to a ward wearing the Ambulance greens and hi vis bomber jacket of a well know First Aid charity. I do wonder if the nurses heart missed a beat when she saw me. But was nice and polite when she asked if she could help, she laughed when I said I was Kim stepdad. Commenting that she did not recognise me without my Blue & Black work jacket.

As usual before I head in to see Kim I look at the obs sheet, but today I have the feeling I am being watched. I have a couple of the patient on the ward, a nurse and the ocupent of another cell, sorry Isolation room looking at me. Oh well, mental note. Don't turn up in uniform again.

As I carry on with the obs sheet, I hear the voice of a friendly male nurse** “So you can actually read them or are you just trying to scare the patients” he jokes, I laugh as he carries on “ It only the 31th Jan, It not Halloween yet” “ yes, very funny” I laugh “hows she been today” “well, its she is still not eating much.” In a split second I have gone from joking to extremely worried and a wave of down hearted feeling washed over me.

Its a bit weird putting just a apron on in uniform, usually barrier nursing with the VAS is Gloves, apron, arm cover and if need mask. So I felt a bit under dressed this time, as I entered the cell.

I took a deep breath and started a hard conversion with her over food.


*VAS
**I think he was a Staff Nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment