The Longest, hardest day - Part 1

Its the 24 Feb, the day Kim get the bone marrow infusion, as I lean on the work vehicle in Wem waiting for the time to leave. I ponder this thought, The national blood service* had started processing Mandy bone marrow over night. And I wonder how well this infusion will work on kim.

The engine stops as my phone rings. Its a nurse from the QEH telling me Kim is not well, That I should be ready to head over to Birmingham. This does not sound good, I need to think about what to do. I decided to think as I have breakfast, Just in case I end up on a mad dash to the QEH, as it could be my only meal of the day and me flaking out would not help anyone.

I sat at a table that would not look out of place in a fast food joint, including the ketchup splatter that missed the last users plate. I look out thought the double fire exit doors, at the students laughing and joking seeming not to have a care in the world. As I sat here like a fish in the fish tank of desperation. My thoughts on the different between the life of These students and that of Kim are interrupted by my phone ringing.

It was the hospital, Kim has been moved to Intermediate Care Unit. They said I should start heading over. Quickly I talked to my colleagues and the boss, telling them what happening. And ended up with the keys to a vehicle to get there.

I pull up outside home, to pick up the Sat Nav and a couple of passengers. I set up the Sat Nav, wrote a parking note, using the key words the nurse told me**. As a friend Izzy turns up with Mandy's Iron tables. I was not overly happy with Mandy coming as she was feeling the affects of the procedure she had yesterday, But if Kim was very bad. I could not stop her.

We are making good time as we reach Telford, I feel something shift in my back. As my need to pee grows, I guess it was mirco stone in my Kidney. It was no good I would have to pull over into the services. I get out at the services to umm, get rid of my waste water. Leaving Tom, Stu, Mandy and her mate Trudy in the vehicle for a short time, then it on the road again to complete the 68 miles dash to Kim side.

I pull up in the one of the spaces the nurse told me to use, stuck the note in the window and hid the Sat Nav. As I walk away from the vehicle my phone rang.

It is Shell, crying.

*www.blood.co.uk
** They have a way of stopping you being booked, and I am not telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment