The train now arriving

As the Train neared Smethwick Galton Bridge, I mulled over why I was sitting here.

Mandy and me are travelling to Birmingham Children's Hospital (BCH), For her to be check for Bone marrow harvesting. I have a problem with the brakes on the landrover, Not the best thing to have if you are travelling to Birmingham. So I decided to get the train instead. Allowing me time to think about the problem.

The train Pulls into Smethwick Galton Bridge, our change over point for Birmingham Snow Hill. As we alight, I Look at the time, 1hour 22 minutes not bad. 15 minutes till the train to Snow Hill, Just enough time for a smoke. Handy the timetable being set up like that. Since the ban on smoking on the platform, but I don't think the timing is for smokers.

It was only a 10 minute ride to Snow Hill, and 6 minute walk* to BCH. We book in, wait a bit, then go in. Mandy had in Shrewsbury had the compatibility tests, where she was unwell, well went white, cold, clammy. All the sign of shock really, when the bloods where taken. So was not looking forward to this one bit. Being called in.

We sit down in a the consulting room. As the 3 people introduced themselves and I instantly forget they name and what they did in the team, typical of my memory**. After being told there would be no bloods taken today, Mandy relaxed a bit. She was asked if she was ok with the taking of bone marrow, as they have the incident at Shrewsbury in her notes.

Then it was checks of blood pressure, temperature, questions about her previous medical history, what medication she takes if any, her current health, and her hight and weight measured. With all the check done. She was asked, If she was giving her bone marrow of her own free will. A bit of an odd question you may thing, but it to stop kids being forced into having harvesting done against they will by their parents.

Mandy replies with “ I'm a match, Would you walk away from an chance to help your sister in a big way? “ The Doctor agrees that, she would do the same for her siblings. And the appointment is over.

As we leave the hospital, I give Shell a ring to tell her we are done. She tells me Kim has had her line replaced, She is a bit sore and uncomfortable for now, but that will settle down later today. Well at least she has a new line for the Bone Marrow treatment.

We head back to Snow Hill and on to home. Its nice to take a break from driving and let the train do the work.

* 0.4 of a miles for the geeks among you. To work out my walking speed.
** I am surprised I have got this far with the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment