whats the odds

Here is a quickly update on what happened since the last post.
Kim had a ECG* to check up on her heart murmur.
She was moved to an Isolation Room.
She was not well at all on her 17th Birthday.

I am visiting Kim with Mandy, and Kim's birthday presents. She is not well, I stop at the door to look at her notes, as Mandy heads with her presents.

It does not look good she has a chest infection. As I look at her chart the consultant arrives, We head into a small office near by. “ She not well at all, and it does not look too good to me” I said. This line started a convocation that I found hard. The Bottom line was a decision, well more of a statement.
' If we hold off on the bone marrow, and treat the infection, she dies. If we do the bone marrow treatment she could die' and the odds. I knew it was not good, as the consultant took a deep breath and gazed over at Kims notes for a second then looks at me. “20% chance of survival, 80% She wont. If we hold off, its almost 100% chance she wont survive beyond 2 weeks”

This knocked the wind out of my sails. I know am straight talking with medical staff, and get it back from them. I would not have it any other way. But nothing prepares you for odd like that.

With my heart sunken and heavy, I when into see Kim. I put on a brave face. Kim looks at me, I have a feeling she can see though the mask of a battle hardened Volunteer First aider into my soul and see the dark side of failed CPR, major trauma, and the news I have just received.

Mandy had helped her open her birthday presents, that were laid out all over the bed. Mandy asks for some money to go grab a drink. When she leave Kim turns to me, we look at each other with a knowing look and kim says

“I'm dieing”


*Electrocardiograph – A machine that show the Electrical activity of the heart

No comments:

Post a Comment