The Boxing Day After

I am slumped on the sofa. Feeling the affects of overdosing on turkey. Why do we do it, Stuff ourselves to the edge of exploding. You know so stuff one wafer thin chocolate mint would make us explode all over the front room.

I think I know why, I am half way though, yes you guessed it, a turkey sandwich. And that the answer, to get rid of a much turkey as possible so they not eating for the next 3 weeks.

Its a bit like that with my thoughts today. The leftovers of yesterday, feeding my thoughts today. Thoughts of a good friend I lost many years ago, I have talked about him in a post called Ghosts*.

And the soreness of remembering him today, on the day of this death added to by the grief I feel for losing Kim, make today very painful. I just want to shutdown and do nothing.

I get up and walk across to the bookcase we have almost full of Videos and DVDs. One shelf has books on it. I stand there looking at one book, and one video. Both with strong ties to my dearly departed friend.

The video is a signed copy of Red Dwarf Smeg ups. My mate went down to a signing of the Video by Robert Llewellyn, the actor that plays Kryten. I could not go, so he told me to give him the video and he would get signed. Which he duly did, even though he was very ill and had to use a wheelchair at this point.

The video is not special because it signed by an actor I truly enjoy watching, But because of the strong emotional story of how it got signed and the care my longed departed beloved friend had to get it signed for me.

The book is nothing special, it just a book like all the other that ran off the print run of this book. The special link is, Its my copy of the book I read to him as he lay there many years ago slowly passing away. I still cant read the last chapter of it, Its too painful.

As I start to move away, a DVD catches my eye. Mamma Mia , One of Kims favour films.

3 items, that would go unnoticed by casual lookers. Sitting there as strong links to loved ones lost. To happy times, to sad times, to memories, and emotions that others would not see.

With a single tear running down my cheek, I aimlessly wander off with the Ghosts of the past watching on.

*http://leukemicstepchild.blogspot.com/2010/07/ghosts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment