Am I in eastenders? - Part 1

I was not feeling myself as I pulled out of Wem. My back felt odd, it was sore, I felt tired. Its the stress and pressure of what's going on I thought to myself as I headed back to the big gray building called my base work site. Apart from the back pain the trip back to the site was uneventful. As usual Chris Moyles and the gang were doing their normal funny stuff and as I drove along life seemed to be normal as my mind was busy with driving. Not thinking about anything but, driving and navigating a well travelled route.

I pull up at work, turn the key, the engine stops Chris disappears back to the unseen radio waves. I look at the time 0858 a bit late, thats following tractors for you. As I get out and lock the vehicle my lower back wakes up with a bit of pain. “bloody hell, I must of slept in a weird position last night” I mutter to myself. As I make my way though the busy reception area to drop in the keys. Its strange being in an area full of people but feeling alone. As my mind was somewhere else, thinking of Kim soon to be poked, prodded, tubed and incarcerated in a isolation room*. I give a half hearted thumbs up and smile to being wished good luck. If we had good luck I would not be on the way to the hospital with my step daughter.

As I load the suitcase and other bits into the landy my back gives a jolt, I mutter a few swear words. I could do without a bad back today. With Kim in the passenger seat. Everyone is jammed together at the front door, to watch Kim disappear for the next 10 days. Little did we know at the time what a day we were going to have.

I pull into a free space in the hospital car park and jump out. Digging though my pockets for 2 pound coins I mutter a few rude words followed by 'Not today'. The ticket machine clunks and beeps dropping the ticket out, the grave under my work boot crunches as I return ticket in hand to the landy. I steady myself on the tree defector**. My back is really sore, I mutter more rude words. Kim looks at me a bit confused. I comment to this look with my back is playing me up.

We enter the hospital and on the way to the ward I nip into the loo. When I came out Kim is sat on her suitcase looking like a lost child on a railway station. We carry on to the ward, the lift door closes with a clatter a pause then the lift jolts into life. Not helping my back one bit. It was sore and a bit painful but I had to carry on. I must of slept on it wrong that the only answer I could think of. The lift judders to a stop and the door slides open with a metal on metal squeak.


*soon to be know by me and kim as the cell.

** I don't call them bull bars, as they are for defending against trees there are no bulls around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment