A bad night

Just as I went to light the first firework ,with a fine mist of rain in the air. The doorbell busts into life. I was expecting it to be a late comer so I waited a minute, I am sure that Mandy would not mind waiting a minute more for her birthday firework display.

My wife appears at the kitchen door silhouetted in the doorway by the naked 100w light bulb hanging from the roof, calling for me to come inside as Dr L is there. As I walked across the wet and slightly muddy grass towards the house. I thought “I'm sure I didn't invite him”

Sitting on the laminate flooring. In a State of shock, a strip of mud flops from the tread of my work boot. At the same time as I am trying to regain some composure. In front of me Dr L had the look of someone that would rather be rodding drains full of raw pungent sewage, or anything else. than having to tell us what he just did and knew in his heart could only be done face to face. I knew it hard on him, and could imagine him going home flopping into a chair, replying to his wife question with “I just told a 16 year old she got leukemia”

I carry on looking around the room to Kim. She sat there dirty blond shoulder length hair, covering her ears and the hearing aids that adorned them. Her face the same white that made me tell her she was most probably anemic, when we packed her off to the Doctors early that day. Next to her is my wife, a thin woman with just above shoulder length hair. They both shared the same dazed and shocked look. Doc L asked if there was any question, this hung in the air for moment. Before anyone spoke. To this day I still can not remember if anyone spoke before me.

I wondered who was speaking, I know that male voice, it took me a second or two to place it. It was MINE. It was asking “what do we need to do next?” what the hell my mouth has taken on a mind of it own!!! well not really, the practical part of my brain is running the show. Thank god it was, I was still falling over in shock, at least in my mind. At least I had mental sat up enough by the time Dr L was leaving to talk on the door step.

As I showed him out, I think I shocked him a bit. As I passed comment on how hard it must be for him to break news like that, he agreed. As I thanked him and closed the door, I heard the sound of crying drifting though from the kitchen. It was not Kim, or my wife but Mandy. What a thing to be told on your birthday, your sister is seriously Ill.

After a Quick conversation, It was decided that the fireworks would go ahead. It was a more muted affair then usual years. With the sound of half hearted mummers or sobbing. And the younger kids that did not know or understand were enjoying it. At least two or three in this small group of party goers where having a good time.

With the smoke hanging in the damp cold air, the fine mist of rain soaking my clothes, spent cartages, sticks and paper of the fireworks lay strewn across the wet and muddy grass at top of the garden. The scene of deviation was something akin to my thoughts and feeling. As we cleared away, the visitors leave and we headed for bed, little did we know what the next Severn day had in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment