The morning after - Part 1

My mobile sprang into life, sounding the dawn of a new day. I roll over and press the button to make it stop for 5 mins. For at least 3 of them minutes life was normal until reality and the memory of what was happening snapped into my mind. I was sitting up in bed smoking before the mobile broke it silence again. What to do, how to do it, what was going to happen. Flew around my head, as I got dressed for work. There was no time last night to get cover at work, and I needed to at least get the morning pick up done.

The air was still a fine mist of rain as I walked in a daze to work. I needed to see the caretaker on morning that week, my first point of contact with work at that god forsaken time in the morning. The revolving door still moves as I pick up the vehicle keys, in a empty reception area. As I turn to leave, Barry, one of the caretakers is there. I look at the floor, down hearted, and start to stammer, “I hhhhh have sommme thing to tell you.” after a short pause I continue getting a grasp on the stammering. “ The GP came to visit last night over Kim, oh , umm, she went to the doctors yesterday for a blood test as she was not looking that good and getting ear infections all the time, I thought it was anemia, umm,” as I was saying this, I looked up to see a confused look on his face as I was babbling, as I usually do when I get stressed. I take a deep breath and decide to bullet point it. “Kim has leukemia, got to get her to hospital at 0930. doing morning pick up then gone”

Barry blinks, looks at me. I cant remember what he said exactly only that his first words where “oh, fuck” he offered to do my pick up, but I decline his offer, he needs to be on site. I walk out to the vehicle, drop myself onto the driver seat, take another deep breath and sign. I turn the key as it awakes Radio One fills the air, Chris Moyles and the rest of the gang where chatting about something stupid that happened the day before. I close my eyes take a couple of steady breaths before opening them and driving off down the drive and way from the big gray building of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment