Am I in eastenders - Part 2

Sitting on Plastic seats like the ones you would find in a 80's village hall, placed outside the isolation rooms. We where waiting for the Prep team to finish cleaning and stocking room 2. around us are bags filled with time passing books mags, etc. the maintenance kit for Kim hearing aids and the suitcase. We look like forlorn passengers waiting for a aircraft to a sunnier climate. My mind start wondering off to the Disneyland Paris holiday we had the year before. When Kim was healthy and the only worries were where to meet up and how long the queue to thunder mountain was. How I wished for that time to be now and not sitting on this ward.

A mix of my back pain and a nurse talking snapped me out of my daydream. she asked if I was ok Yes, I think whats happening is taking it toll. As I talk with Kim about what I was going to do, the prep team finished. Kim and I rolled and carried the bits we brought along into the room. This was the time where I took my leave as we worked out. The next time she would see me is later than agreed, but you know what they say about the best lay plans of mice and men.

The plan was. I would go to Mat's for a coffee to give Kim some privacy during the prep and installation of her central line*. Come back after an hour or so. Sort out the room make sure she is settled in. get back home eat. Do the evening run at work and then return for visiting hours with Shell and / or Pat.

As I leave the building I light up a Cigarette and call my friend Mat to see if he was in, he was as I talked to him I mutter as my back plays up again. He asks if I am Ok I reply with the stock answer of must of sleep in a funny position as I got into the landy.

I arrive at Mat's. Climbed out of the landy and head for his front door. I feel like crap, My back is really killing now and I feel so tired. I know there is something wrong, maybe my insides are complaining with the stress of it all, as it has been a stressful last 5 days. Maybe doing something akin to Irritable bowel?

Mat has 'that look' ** on his face when he see me. A slight panic tries to rise in me, but it can't I am too emotionally cream crackered for that. I ask to rest on his sofa for a min or two, as I pass a mirror my reflection is worrying. I am as white as Kim was on the fateful night 5 day ago. Oh god no, Not today, Please. I need to be there for Kim, Please NO.

As I lie on his sofa. Head on the seat my feet hanging over the brown arm rest. Mat asks if I want him to take some observations. “If you want” I could not really be bothered. Within second he is kneeling beside me with his grab bag*** Oxygen (O2) monitor on my a finger of my right hand, blood pressure on my left arm is quick time. Mat looks at the O2 monitor and grabs my right wrist of a manual pulse check.

He looks up at me with ' THAT LOOK!!! ' † and pulls out his phone. I think he has forgot we crew together and I know his looks. He asks me what my age was as he hit the 9 button 3 times. “29, Whats the readings!” I ask. He turns the equipment around. Oh SHIT, that's not good!!!


*A tube that all chemotherapy, medication, blood etc to go though. placed in the centre of chest.

** is a look that says ' I don't like this ' between first aiders in a team (or unit) without saying it

*** is that bag crews always have when they jump of the ambulance.

is a look that says ' OH heck, this is very bad. '

No comments:

Post a Comment