I know you from somewhere.

Its Saturday and it a overcast day. I am walking in with a bag of clean stuff, new mags and a couple of DVD. As I do the usual pre entry routine I notice there is some one in with Kim already.

I know her from somewhere, I just could not put my finger on it. I say hello and she nods. With my back to them putting the stuff down I hear nothing until they both laugh. Ok she is deaf too, that narrow it down. It turns out the laughter was about me not recognizing her. In my defense I had not seen her in about 2 and half to 3 years, at a bowling ally.

She is Katie, one of Kim very good friends from the SIS get togethers. They are always chatting away on facebook, messager or in any other non verbal medium.

I am treated to them laughing and joking using as little verbal cues as possible, they know each other so well, that even with out sign they can do it really well. Some thing I have seen lots of the kids do in SIS meet ups.

So here I am an outside in the world of hearing impaired kids. Being able to pick up bits of the interaction between them, but a lot more than someone that is not used to the world of a deaf child.

Kim was enjoying the jokey banter of who's football team was better, her (Liverpool) or Katie (Manchester United). The fit lads in the mags and all the other girly stuff they go on about, well I say girly they are both tomboys.

This carries on for a while until katie need to head off, the parting shot is Katie waving the man u badge on her shirt and doing the winner W with her hand then pointing at Kim liverpool cover and doing the loser L. Kim replys doing the W for her cover and the L at Katie's top. Katie disapears though the door saying "no, they are the losers"

For a time I saw the old pre illness Kim, laughing, joking and taking the Mick. It was great to see, the day to day grind of her illness had been getting me down, wearing my soul and ripping at my heart.

But today I left feeling a little bit upbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment