Out of the airwaves

I am doing one of the overflow minibus to and from our main campus to our Baschurch campus. This means I got 12 miles of just me and the radio coming back in the morning and going over in the afternoon.

Today is no exception. I Listen to radio 1, but I am not enjoying it any more. There are a couple of songs I can not listen to since Kim died, and one come on the radio, my heart with go on. My hand dives to the any button to get rid of it. My finger lands on the tune down button, The radio locked on to the next radio station.

There is a what I can only describe as a bigoted bloke, that could only see his view point and was being tied in knots by a second bloke that was putting over more than one view on the subject, I can't remember what the subject was, but I quiet like the way the presenter put ideas across.

When I got back to my base site, I added this station to the radio's pre-sets. The presenter, one Jim Hawkins, and yes, I wondered if he started out on treasure island radio too. Had really captured my ear, so I set about cleaning out the back of my minibus. Jim came across to me as an intelligent, well read/informed bloke. With a bit of a eccentric / quirky charismata about him.

A standard clean of my van had become a full blown clean out. I left Radio Shropshire to get on with other jobs I needed to do, missing a presenter that, I would enjoying as regularly as the rest of presenters. Mr Colin Young,

When time came for me to return to the Baschurch campus, I had the delight of Clare Ashford. A warm and funny lady, that enjoyed interaction with her listeners. I was to find out later that she came from a village a few miles away my home town of Oswestry.

Little did I know at the time that, this Local BBC radio station was going to be one of the corner stones of my emotional recovery. Introducing me to many wonder people on twitter and being there for me to pluck out of the air to enjoy and interact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment