The Funeral - Part 2

We have to walk past the hearse to get to the mourners car. As we get closer, Shell hand gets tighter on mine. We get into the car and the convoy moves off with the chief undertaker walking in front. there was a lot of people standing at their gates, with sad looks and bowing heads.

As we drew up at church I can see a sea of Red, Red shirts, Red T shirts, Liverpool tops and scarves. It was a wonderful, breath taking sight. I watch as Kim is being taken out of the hearse. Everyone heads into the church. We line up behind her at the door as we do I see Kim's Biological Father (KBF) sporting the grey Liverpool away shirt. He has to be different.

With all the chief mourners ready, The well Known song, you will never walk alone played by Gerry and the Pacemakers starts to play. I take a big gulp to try and clear the big lump that just appeared in my throat. I feel Shell squeeze my hand, we look at each other. And start to follow the coffin in.

As we walk down the aisle with Kim coffin covered in a Liverpool FC flag, I realize the church is packed with a sea of red, so pack in fact, over half the mourners do not have seats. So many people and so many lives touched by hers.

We file into our seats at the front. A Solitary coffin, Kim's coffin stands isolated and alone, in the middle of the large deserted space at the front of the church. The vicar starts the service, and for some strange reason when the first hymn, all things bright and beautiful, started I felt a little disconnected from the service it self. Lost in my own world thinking of Kim as some people behind me sing alternative lyrics to the hymn.

The eulogy is lovely, going on about how caring Kim was. Her attitude over not letting her deafness get in the way of her life, the awards she got for her attitude over it.

At this point I am holding back the tears with a big lump in my throat, It was so bad I could not sing along to Give me joy in my heart.

The Hymn finished and it was time for the chief mourners to line up to follow Kim out, KBF was looking related with his wife standing beside him, I could hear tuts from a couple of people. His wife moves a bit to show KBF leaning on the coffin.

We all get into position and Celine Dion My heart will go on, the theme tune of Kim favour film titanic start playing. We follow the coffin out, followed by the sea of red.

No comments:

Post a Comment