The Funeral - Part 3

The pavement fills with people to watch the coffin being loaded, me and Shell headed for the car. The vicar joined us in the car for the trip to the grave. With the back door of the hearse closing. The chief undertaker walk past the front of the car carrying a High visibility waistcoat.

As he puts it on my dark humour kicked in, I chuckled and before I could stop myself I said “A undertaker wearing a hi vis what next safety barriers around the grave” the vicar is the only one to react to this with a smile, I don't know if he like it or was being polite.

The cars set off for the half mile to the cemetery. When we arrive, there are 3 car by the grave. The hearse, our mourners car and my parents as my Mum has trouble walking due to her MS*. There is a pause to allow the people coming from the church on foot to arrive. So I check to see how mum is getting on with the uneven ground.

The crowd watches as Kim's coffin slides slowly and smoothly along the walnut deck onto the carrier. Reflecting on the polish black paintwork of the hearse as it passed heading toward it final resting place.

Accompanied by the quiet sound of sobbing, the coffin arrives next to the hole waiting for it. I look around to see groups of people huddled together comforting each other, the colour they wear does not matching the mood.

Kim is moved over the hole and is slowly lowered into the deep void, down into the cold darkness of her final resting place as the vicar say the poignant words “earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust”

mourners start to shuffle past the grave to pay they final respects, Stuart starts to shuffle past then slips almost sliding into the open grave. A few laughs sound out across the graveyard as Stuart is helped back to his feet.

The hearse moves off, the sun reflecting off the polished paintwork, sliver metal work and empty walnut load deck. Where Kim once lay for her final journey.


*Multiple Sclerosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment