Flying though the county

One thing I have not mentioned is a course I have been doing. Mostly Paperwork, until now. I will spend a whole weekend doing a section of it. What most of my fellow course mates say is the fun part. The practical training & assessment.

What the course I hear you ask, Its a ASET Level 3 in blue light driving (ambulance). Or in other words, I am going to be driving around Shropshire on Blue lights. It not as fun as you think, honestly.

After getting the paperwork & vehicle checks out the way. It was the first drive, a straight drive with no warning devices. To see what our normal driving is like, It went well, I did miss a overtaking opportunity. But I am at the right standard to do the rest of the training. As both mine and the other trainee's driving was up to scratch we could do one blue light run each, before the end of the day.

Both were within Shrewsbury itself, I did make a couple of small mistakes. Nothing serious. After input on the drives we finished for the day. Next was the longer drives and the final assessment drives.

So the next morning, after vehicle checks, there was two short runs again, then it was on to the long runs. Mine was from the edge of Shrewsbury to far side of Telford via Crudgington. About a 25 mile run, cover most types of roads. God it's tough to do with a running commentary. It's amazing how many driver panic when they have a Vehicle with blue lights on behind them.

After parking in a layby for a debrief on the run and a smoke, umm I know bad for my health and yes I was hidden from view. It was time for my fellow trainee Garth's turn, It was of similar length ending on the A49 near Whitchurch. It was not a bad drive at all, and to be honest I was a bit jealous of how good his driving was.

After pulling into the midway truck stop for Garth's debrief and swap over, it was my turn for a run. This one was the assessment run, that I passed or failed on. So no pressure. I was told to active warning systems on the A41 between Tilstock and Wrexham road traffic islands. I refused as there was a active emergency vehicle running on Blue light coming up behind me. After the Police car had passed, I was told to head for Ellesmere and to start my run after the traffic island.

This made me a little bit happy, I would be doing my assessment run on a road I traveled many times with work. Twice a day in term time. The instructor know my thinking on commentary, It stop if it interferes with safety. I think he was quite happy with that. So It was blue lights on, siren on and off we go.

Bloody hell, I am driving what is affectively a 2.5 ton -ish van, above the speed limit, I did not have time to enjoy doing 70mph on a road I normally travel on doing 50mph. My mind was filled with speed, position, dangers, corners, road conditions, and lots of other things that I need to think about to keep us, safe and on the black stuff.

As the run carried on we were getting closer to my stomping grounds. Then I was directed to head for Os-west-tree. Oh Heck, I am going to Blue light Though my home town. The Instructor does not know Oswestry at all, and on finding out I live there told me to just drive around it. So I did. Passed the end of my Parents road. I know my dad would hear the siren and would be saying “I wonder were thats going”.

Into town, up to the weird light set up by Morrisons supermarket, up Oswald road and passed Sainsbury. Out toward work, shame it was closed, would of loved to turn up there with light a go go. And at works driveway, my run finished.

All that was needed now was for Garth to do a run back into Shrewsbury, which he did perfectly. Finish some paperwork off. Job done.

It was not until I got into my landy to come home that I though, one day I may have to do that with someone like Kim in the back to get them to the Isolation ward.

Sobering though.

You may think this Posting is a bit boring, but it has a real message. Blue Light driver are trained to drive as quickly and safety as possible But we need your Help as a Driver to do this. There is a great video that show you how you can help at www.bluelightaware.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment