A year today - Almost live

Its November 5th and I am driving along, Jim is on the radio. He is asking “What does bonfire night means to you.” Most of them were happy stories. I started to enjoy them, snapshots of people happy times. When it has a shade of sadness for me.

A new subject is added to the mix, stress. This got me thinking and linking the subjects together. I pulled over and started to write a text. Now this text was lost as soon as I sent it, so this is what I roughly remember texting in to the show.

“a year ago today I was told my Stepdaugher had acute leukemia, So as you can guess I am a bit stressed today”

I carried on driving, and a few minutes later Jim read it out, there was a pause, “I bet” broke the silence on air. Its not often you hear Jim lost for words. Shortly after arriving back at site, my phone rang. It was Maggie the producer of the show, asking if I would go on air.

I decided that it was probably for the best if I did not. Replying “ Not today. Its all too raw to talk about. Anyway I don't think Jim would want a blubbering mess live on air” She fully understood, and asked if I was ok. That was a bit weird, a stranger on the phone checking I was ok. I said I was as fine I could be on a day like today, and threatened to find Jim when he next does his sit on a bench and chat to anyone that chat to him, the next time he is in my town.

This is local radio, so local that if I said yes, I would have been on it. Scary thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment